Computer science at USC is dying, and half of it is ITS’s fault. ITS is Information Technology Services here at the University of Southern California. I don’t know their history, but what I do know is:
- They are one of the most crucial organizations at USC.
- They manage USC Wireless, the on-campus 802.11g wireless network.
- They manage the usc.edu domain name and website.
- They are highly restrictive and severely stifle innovation on a regular basis.
- They move at a glacial pace. That is, extremely slowly and inefficiently.
An explanation of my complaints follows… now that I’ve written it out, I’m not so angry. But best to keep this online so I can record for memory’s sake how I felt at the time (though maybe not anymore).